November 20, 2013

Cinnamon-Sugar Baked Apple Chips

I spent my morning enjoying a big bowl of crisp homemade apple chips with a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar while I scrolled through Pinterest. Life is good.

Baked apple chips are usually one of those things I find it very hard to leave the store without. They're crispy, crunchy, light, cinnamon-y, healthy, and addictive. So I wanted to start making them at home. I used Red Delicious apples, but you can use whatever kind of apple you prefer. You can also use any kind of spice you want to top them, or just leave them plain!




Side Note: A mandolin would be perfect for this, as would a corer. I don't have either, but I still managed!

 Save to ZipList Print RecipeCinnamon-Sugar Baked Apple Chips
Author: Herbivore Haven
Ingredients:
  • 3 large apples (I used Red Delicious)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Core the apples and slice the apples very thin, about 1/8 of an inch. Slice the apples evenly so the apples crisp up evenly.
  2. In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar. Spray two 9x13 baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray. Place the apple slices on the baking sheets in a single layer. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over each slice. Flip the apple slices over and repeat.
  3. Bake at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven, flip over each apple slice and bake for another 20 minutes, or until the edges are crinkled and crisp.
  4. Allow the apple chips to cool for about 30 minutes. The slices will crisp up more as they cool.